Thursday, January 03, 2013

Kootenay Pass

I've only driven through Kootenay pass a couple times. Once I was on my way to the crowsnest pass to ski with some coffee roasters, the other time was on my way to Fernie to race mt bikes back in the glory days. Kootenay pass is almost at 1800m so its get the first snow and the last snow as far as hwy access touring goes. It was hard to step away from watching Duck Dynasty at the Casa Alpina but the lure of powder got me again. It took us just over an hour to drive to the pass from Rossland.
Mel taking a water break
Being our first time to the pass and the province not getting any snow in a week we figured we better get some local input on what was good and what was not. I was able to track down one of the Avi forecasters and get some good beta. North facing was what we wanted and we found lots of it.
Mel getting after it. 
From what I can make out on the map we skied a couple laps of Crags to Monk Creek, then a couple laps of Baldy Rocks North. All was in the shade and the snow was very good.


view down to the car. 

parking lot at the pass. 

stopped in Salmo for coffee. 

We went to Misty Mountain Pizza in Rossland for dinner and found Brian's card on the wall.  

Yeah the room smells so good right now. 

No comments: