Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Utah and Colorado NORBAs

So Aug 3rd I flew down to Salt lake city where I was picked up by Keith Wilson and Catherine Pendrel. We drove down to Beaver Ut and and stayed at at a motel 8 which was around 1600m above the level of the sea. then for the race we drove 45min and up to like 3000m to a place called Brain Head. I did not know the course because I could not preride it and went into it blind. the race went up this crazy climb and I was in the top 12-15 guys then there was this long single track down hill and I caught some dudes and came out of the woods in 9/10th with Nick Martin and we battled tooth and nail till the finish and he out sprinted me for 9th by 10cm. so I was 10th. during the race I set a new record in the race 3300 was the peak elevation during the race and thats the highest I have ever been in my life. On the way back to the hotel after the race we stopped and got wicked good burritos. next day was the short track and I did ok. I was in a group that was 8-15 and I was 12 in a sprint. the best part was watching Sam Shultz crash on every corner. After the ST I had a wicked burger at the Maxxis trailer BBQ and then It was time to drive to Fruita Co where we were going to stay for the week.

The Laquinta in Fruita was home for the week. It was warm like 35c everyday with these wicked dust storms that would roll in at like 8pm. Monday was by far the best day in Fruita because of these go carts that we went to. there was a good group of people Fisher team Maxxis team and some Luna representation. at first we all ripped around being all good and not crashing then by the end of the hour we where in full demolition derby mode just smashing and crashing all over. and everyone had wicked sweat marks on there ass, armpits and back. there was these rivets that held the seats on the carts and next day I had bruises on my back that matched the rivets. After the carts we where all pumped on car racing so we went and checked out Ricky Bobby. I did some rides in the state park around the colorado national monument. Friday morning we drove to snowmass for the norba finals.

Snowmass base was at 2600m and I was really feeling it. When I woke up at night to pee and then walk back to bed I would have to lay down and catch my breath just from the little walk. the race course was very good, mad climb and then tons of fast flowing single track. I tried to play the start of this one a little more mellow and was in the top 15 then my wheel almost fell out then I got off and put my wheel back in and lost some spots and was ended up riding the DH with Sam Shultz and Ned Overend and then at the bottom of the climb I passed them and kept going. I was in no mans land the rest of the day but with 2km to go I caught bonking Brent Miller and I came home in 13th. which is OK, because I ended up 6th in the overall. Next up was the short track. we went off at like 3pm and a crazy mountain storm was rolling in but we just managed to dodge it and stayed kind of dry. I had my best ST race at altitude this year finishing 8th. and 10th in the overall Short track. right after the race we packed the car and I was dropped off in grand junction and flew home on Monday at 630am. Keith and Catherine are going to be in there car for 20hrs driving back to Canada. After some time in the salt lake airport I landed in bellingham at 130 and was at the doctor doing uci blood tests at 330. I am home for 6days then I fly out to Rotorua NZ for the World championships, which is at sea level. oh baby. I took a lot of photos but Lina took my camra cord with her to Ottawa so I will post them in a couple weeks. But she cleaned my place up real nice. Home Sweet home. Ricky

No comments: